Day 4 was going to be a shocker weather
wise—making the umbrella a timely purchase—so we decided to make it museum day.
We had three museums that we’d like to see, but it looked as though we would
only make two, so we decided first to visit the Natural History Museum.
It was a bit of a convoluted tube ride
there, and the weather was absolutely hopeless, so the day didn’t start well.
Somewhat bizarrely, out the front of the museum they had an ice skating rink.
With the genuine desire not to kill myself ice skating, we decided not to go
ice skating. The weather had put a couple of inches of water onto the ice as
well, which made watching those already skating look quite
ridiculous/hilarious.
The line was relatively long, though it
gave us an opportunity to take some touristy photos as well as to appreciate
the architecture of the building. The building itself was absolutely beautiful,
so we were excited about what would be inside.
Once we entered, we realised that the day
was going to be a hectic one. There were people everywhere. In particular,
there were a stack of children—which is never a good thing. Personally, I was there
to see an exhibit on Human Evolution. I had read in Cosmos a couple of months
previously that the museum had updated its exhibition, in particular, with the
inclusion of some realistic models of human ancestors, such as of Neanderthals.
Most of the morning was spent looking for the exhibit, whilst having a squiz at
some dinosaur bones and various other exhibits. A particular low light was the
mammal exhibit, which included a plethora of poorly kept stuffed animals.
Everything had faded considerably as a result of the lights in the cabinets
that kept the animals.
When I found Wifi, I discovered that they
had closed the exhibit. This was a particularly disappointing moment for me, as
it was one of the things that I was looking forward to most on the trip. The
particular issue of Cosmos that included the article about the NHM’s new
exhibit was fantastic and I found the prospect of seeing the exhibit thrilling.
Before leaving, we decided to have a quick
look at a few different things. There was the base of a gigantic tree, which
was pretty amazing, as well as a statue of Charles Darwin, which currently
features in my profile picture on Facebook. In their rare collections, we also
found a first edition copy of On the
Origin of Species, which, for some reason, evoked a real sense of awe in
me. It’s no secret that I believe that Charles Darwin is the most significant
biologist ever to have lived, so seeing the original work that fuelled his fame
was a special moment.
The dinosaur exhibit was our last stop.
Some of the stuff was genuinely interesting, though the exhibit itself was far
too crowded, with the bones presented in a relatively poor way. It was a poor
way to finish what was a relatively disappointing visit to the Natural History
Museum. Indeed, overall, it was actually quite a poor museum. With the
architecture aside, I really didn’t feel as though it were much better than the
Melbourne museum, for instance, and this is in spite of the fact that this was
the Natural History Museum of worldwide fame. Perhaps a visit to the
Smithsonian in the US is in order to make up for it.
We had spent far too long in the NHM, so we
had to hot tail it along to the British Museum next, deciding to give the
Science Museum a miss. This turned out to be a good decision, as the British
Museum presented itself as absolutely bloody fantastic.
Without much time, we started a frantic
look, in a frankly gigantic museum, for the Rosetta stone. This led us through
the Egyptology department, which is replete with artefacts from Ancient Egypt,
ranging from ornate jewellery to beautifully decorated coffins for dead
pharaohs. That such art has managed to survive for so long was truly
incredible. I had already had the privilege of seeing some of the British
Museum’s collection in person when I was in Brisbane for PESA, but seeing it
all together again was absolutely breath taking.
Eventually, Tara decided to ask one of the
guards where the Rosetta stone was. Naturally, we were nowhere near it, so we
made our way over pretty quick smart. It was absolutely breath taking. For some
reason, I have always found the Rosetta stone fascinating. Sure, the stone
itself is pretty, but its significance makes it even better. It was the key
that really opened up the world of Ancient Egypt. Personally, I find it really
interesting that we manage to learn so much about dead languages that have not
been spoken for more than 1000 years; the Rosetta stone is a nice way of
explaining how studying them goes.
With the Rosetta stone looked at and worthless
merchandise purchased, we next looked at the department of Ancient Greece and
Rome. The sculptures there were truly breathtaking. That an ancient society
could construct such beautiful artefacts with their bare hands is something I
really do find difficult to comprehend. This feeling was fairly constant for my
whole visit to the museum. Even after Ancient Greece and Rome, when we started
to have a look at Medieval England, I still couldn’t believe that an ancient
civilisation, without all the tools we had today, could produce such beautiful
things.
It was an incredible excursion to the
British Museum and I doubt it is something that I will forget in my life. I’m
not entirely sure why, as a Biology student with a useless knowledge of
history, I found it so wonderful. Perhaps it was because I really don’t
understand it, because I have so little knowledge of what I was looking at that
I could properly appreciate its beauty. I don’t really know and don’t really
care; all I know is that it was incredible there.
No comments:
Post a Comment